Tuesday, September 22, 2026

Review: Ventilator's 'Reseda Spleen'

As a former obsessive bedroom Portastudio recorder myself, I've always had a soft spot for home recordings: Pete Townshend's Scoop compilations, Liz Phair's Girlysound tapes, the first ten years of Guided by Voices. These recordings have an atmosphere that is decidedly unpolished and full of forbidden "you weren't supposed to hear this!" allure. 

I'd never heard of Matt Devine's home-recording project Ventilator, but I was curious because of my fascination with straight-to-High Bias-TDK music. Imagine how hoodwinked I felt when I heard Ventilator's Reseda Spleen! This album sounds as lo-fi as Revolver! That's probably because Devine cheated by not using one of those shitty cassette recorders Phair and GBV and I used. He used a proper Tascam 388 ¼" reel-to-reel tape recorder (purchased from a Mighty Morphine Rangers stuntman for $1,000, no less) and got a proper professional engineer to mix it. Earl Mankey engineered freaking Beach Boys albums! Not good ones, mind you, but still...The Beach Boys! Who just happens to have a Beach Boys engineer hanging around their home? What kind of home recording is that?

So, can we forgive Matt Devine's complete and total violation of the murk-and-hiss ethos of home recording? I guess we're going to have to because Reseda Speen is just too damn good. From the power-pop pounce of "The Tailor's Lament" through the acoustic moodiness of "Lansdowne" and "Jerico's Pool" to the neo-psych swirl of "Earthquake Song" to the glammy stomp of "In Mysterium" to the disorienting experimentalism of "Schadenfreude", Reseda Spleen is one great song after another. I bet Liz Phair and Bob Pollard would love it too (not sure about Townshend; that guy's a real prickly pear).

Originally released on CD by Delmore Recordings in 1996, Reseda Spleen is now making its vinyl debut via Bar/None. The music sounds warm and clear and the plastic is flat and extremely quiet without any groove distortion. The cover art has been revised to a grainy portrait of Devine and the inner sleeve features extensive liner notes.


All written content of Psychobabble200.blogspot.com is the property of Mike Segretto and may not be reprinted or reposted without permission.