Monday, January 31, 2011

Deluxe Kinks and Non-Deluxe Left Banke reissues coming…

Early in 2010, a post on Ray Davies’s web site indicated that double-disc editions of The Kinks’ non-Village Green Preservation Society late-‘60s releases were on their way. Well, it’s 2011 and we still haven’t received the deluxe Something Else by the Kinks and Arthur: or the Decline and Fall of the British Empire we were promised. Well, in the meantime we Kultists can busy ourselves with double-disc deluxe editions of The Kinks’ first three albums. This February 28, Sanctuary/Universal in the U.K. will be releasing massive reissues of The Kinks (1964), Kinda Kinks (1965), and The Kink Kontroversy (one of Psychobabble's Ten Greatest albums of 1965) augmented by non-LP singles, demos, and BBC sessions. The Kinks will include both the mono and stereo mixes of the guys’ first LP.



Less momentous in terms of bells and whistles but more so historically considering the number of times The Kinks early catalogue has been reissued is the first appearances of The Left Banke’s two albums on compact disc. New York’s Left Banke are primarily remembered for their smash debut single “Walk Away Renee” (their follow-up, the lovely “Pretty Ballerina”, is not nearly as ubiquitous, although it was a top twenty hit in late ’66). Yet, despite their relative obscure, The Left Banke made elegant, moody baroque pop records that were among the finest of their era. “Desiree”, a stunning fusion of chamber pop and pummeling prog-rock time changes, may be the greatest flop single of 1967. The 1992 compilation There’s Gonna Be a Storm collected everything the group officially released during its brief lifetime, but it jostled the track-listings of their two official albums in favor of a somewhat more pleasing running order. Now Sundazed records is preparing Walk Away Renee/Pretty Ballerina and The Left Banke Too for release in 2011. No word yet on the release date, although Sundazed has made it clear that the albums will not include bonus tracks.



Left Banke fans in the New York area might also want to check out the reunion of original bassist Tom Finn and guitarist George Cameron for a pair of reunion gigs at Joe’s Pub on March 5 and March 6. Check out this link for more details.

Here are the track line-ups and pre-order links for those Kinks reissues:

Kinks: Deluxe Edition (Pre-order here)
Disc 1
1. Beautiful Delilah
2. So Mystifying
3. Just Can’t Go to Sleep
4. Long Tall Shorty
5. I Took My Baby Home
6. I’m a Lover Not a Fighter
7. You Really Got Me
8. Cadillac
9. Bald Headed Woman
10. Revenge
11. Too Much Monkey Business
12. I’ve Been Driving on Bald Mountain
13. Stop Your Sobbing
14. Got Love If You Want It
15. I Believed You (Demo)
16. I’m a Hog for You Baby (Demo)
17. I Don’t Need You Any More
18. Ev’rybody’s Gonna Be Happy (Alternate)
19. Long Tall Sally
20. You Still Want Me
21. You Do Something to Me
22. It’s All Right
23. All Day and All of the Night
24. I Gotta Move
25. Louie Louie
26. I’ve Got That Feeling
27. I Gotta Go Now
28. Things Are Getting Better

Disc 2
1. Beautiful Delilah
2. So Mystifying
3. Just Can’t Go to Sleep
4. Long Tall Shorty
5. I Took My Baby Home
6. I’m a Lover Not a Fighter
7. You Really Got Me
8. Cadillac
9. Bald Headed Woman
10. Revenge
11. Too Much Monkey Business
12. I’ve Been Driving on Bald Mountain
13. Stop Your Sobbing
14. Got Love If You Want It
15. Don’t Ever Let Go
16. I Don’t Need You Anymore (Mono)
17. Bald Headed Woman (U.S. Mono Mix)
18. Too Much Monkey Business (Alternate Take)
19. Got Love If You Want It (Alternate Take)
20. Meet The Kinks (BBC Session)
21. Cadillac (BBC Session)
22. Ray Talks About “You Really Got Me” (BBC Session)
23. You Really Got Me (BBC Session)
24. Little Queenie (BBC Session)
25. I’m a Lover Not a Fighter (BBC Session)
26. All Day and All of the Night (BBC Session)
27. Ray Talks About the USA (BBC Session)
28. I’ve Got That Feeling (BBC Session)

Kinda Kinks (Pre-order here)


Disc 1
1. Look for Me Baby
2. Got My Feet on the Ground
3. Nothin’ in the World Can Stop Me Worryin’ ‘Bout That Girl
4. Naggin’ Woman
5. I Wonder Where My Baby is Tonight
6. Tired of Waiting for You
7. Dancing in the Street
8. Don’t Ever Change
9. Come On Now
10. So Long
11. You Shouldn’t Be Sad
12. Something Better Beginning
Disc 2
1. Ev’rybody’s Gonna Be Happy
2. Who’ll Be the Next in Line
3. Set Me Free
4. I Need You
5. See My Friends
6. Never Met a Girl Like You Before
7. A Well Respected Man
8. Such a Shame
9. Wait Till the Summer Comes Along
10. Don’t You Fret
11. I Go to Sleep (Demo)
12. When I See That Girl of Mine (Demo)
13. Tell Me Now So I’ll Know (Demo)
14. A Little Bit of Sunlight (Demo)
15. There’s a New World Just Opening for Me (Demo)
16. This I Know (Demo)
17. See My Friends (Alternate)
18. Come On Now (Alternate Vocal)
19. You Shouldn’t Be Sad (BBC Session)
20. Tired of Waiting for You (BBC Session)
21. Ev’rybody’s Gonna Be Happy (BBC Session)
22. This Strange Effect (BBC Session)
23. Hide and Seek (BBC Session)

The Kink Kontroversy (Pre-order here)
Disc 1
1. Milk Cow Blues
2. Ring the Bells
3. Gotta Get the First Plane Home
4. When I See That Girl of Mine
5. I Am Free
6. Till the End of the Day
7. The World Keeps Going Round
8. I’m on an Island
9. Where Have All the Good Times Gone
10. It’s Too Late
11. What’s in Store for Me
12. You Can’t Win
Disc 2
1. Dedicated Follower of Fashion
2. Sittin’ on My Sofa
3. I’m Not Like Everybody Else
4. Mr. Reporter (Outtake)
5. Dedicated Follower of Fashion (Alternate Stereo Take)
6. Time Will Tell (Outtake)
7. And I Will Love You
8. I’m Not Like Everybody Else (Alternate Vocal)
9. All Night Stand (Demo)
10. Milk Cow Blues (BBC Session)
11. Ray Talks About Songwriting (BBC Session)
12. Never Met a Girl Like You Before (BBC Session)
13. Wonder Where My Baby is Tonight (BBC Session)
14. Pete Talks About Records (BBC Session)
15. Till the End of the Day (BBC Session)
16. A Well Respected Man (BBC Session)
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
All written content of Psychobabble200.blogspot.com is the property of Mike Segretto and may not be reprinted or reposted without permission.